Thursday, April 12, 2018

Security and Hacking - Part I

I don't usually write much about Security and Hacking, but I will need to do a little bit of that because that is what I have been working on lately.

I went to the RSA show a couple years ago and that bootstrapped my involvement in security. The Dispersive DVN, after all, is all about Security.  We have had a number of people come in and Pen Test the networks, and I have read those reports.  Recently, as part of Research, once I finished Orchestration, they asked me if I would bolster my skills in this area and do some internal pen testing of our network.  This is a big undertaking, to say the least.

I started with a book called Hacking (2nd Edition), The Art of Exploitation, by Jon Erickson. This book is not for the script kiddies. It uses practical Assembler and C examples on a (dated) version of Ubuntu that you compile and run as part of going through the book.  I have gone through the entire book, page by page. I've learned some very interesting things from this book. Where I kind of got lost was in the ShellCode sections - which is essentially the one key point that separates the port scanners and tire kickers from the guys who know how to actually exploit and break into networks and systems.  I will need to go through this book, and these sections, probably iteratively to actually master the skills presented in this book.

I've built a "Pen Testing" station - on an Ubuntu VM and this VM is essentially my "attack plane" for the OpenStack network. It sits outside the OpenStack networks but can route to all of the networks inside OpenStack via the OpenStack router.

So far, I have run a series of half-open port scans and documented all of the ports I've been finding open on various network elements.

It appears that someone in a Load Testing group is trying to lasso me out of research and "make" me join this load testing team, which will make this an extracurricular effort if they succeed in doing this.

No comments:

Fixing Clustering and Disk Issues on an N+1 Morpheus CMP Cluster

I had performed an upgrade on Morpheus which I thought was fairly successful. I had some issues doing this upgrade on CentOS 7 because it wa...