Friday, November 15, 2019

SaltStack


I had heard of Puppet. I had heard of Chef. And I knew Ansible quite well because someone I know looked at all three (Puppet, Chef and Ansible) and chose Ansible for our organization.

I had never heard of Salt.

Until now.

Mirantis uses Salt to manage OpenStack infrastructure.

So in having some familiarity with Ansible, it made sense to type into the search engine:
"ansible vs salt'.

Well, sure enough. Someone has done a comparison.

Ansible vs Salt

What I see a number of people doing with Salt, is running remote commands on nodes that they otherwise might not have access to. But - recently, I have started looking more into Salt and it appears to be architected quite similar to Ansible, and is also quite powerful.

One of the features I have recently played around with, is the ability to use "Salt Grains". You can get all kinds of "grains of information" from a host with Salt Grains. In my case, I am calling Salt and telling it to give me all of the grains for all of the hosts in JSON format - and then I parse the json and make a csv spreadsheet. Pretty cool.

There's a lot more. Like Salt States (equivalent to Ansible Modules I think?). There are Salt Pillars.

They use the "salt" theme pretty well in naming all of their extensions.

This link, is called Salt in Ten Minutes. Gives a pretty good overview.

Salt in Ten Minutes

This link, below, is quite handy in figuring out how to target your minions using regular expressions.
https://docs.saltstack.com/en/latest/topics/targeting/globbing.html#regular-expressions

No comments:

NVIDIA Issue Back - I Think We Know More About the Cause

This morning the fans were running on the server. Apparently, ollama will fall back to the cpu if the gpu stops working or becomes unrecogni...