Friday, March 1, 2024

I thought MacOS was based on Linux - and apparently I was wrong!

I came across this link, which discusses some things I found interesting to learn:

  • Linux is a Monolithic Kernel - I thought because you could load and unload kernel modules, that the Linux kernel had morphed into more of a Microkernel architecture because of this. But apparently not?
  •  The macOS kernel is officially known as XNU, which stands for “XNU is Not Unix.” 
 According to Apple's GitHub page:

 "XNU is a hybrid kernel combining the Mach kernel developed at Carnegie Mellon University with components from FreeBSD and C++ API for writing drivers”.

  Very interesting. I stand corrected now on MacOS being based on Linux.

No comments:

Rocky Generic Cloud Image 9.4 - Image Prep, Cloud-Init and VMware Tools

  I just fixed an issue on these Rocky 9.x generic cloud images not booting properly on a VMWare platform. It turns o...