Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Network Attached Storage - Synology

Somehow, through all these years, I managed to somehow evade all things network storage related. Until this week, when I found a couple of NAS devices sitting on a shelf. One was a Buffalo, and I could not get it to boot up due to errors on certain disks.

The other, a Synology, worked perfectly. I had to go to the web, but found a program called Synology Assistant which installed on my Windows 7 laptop. I configured this device to the network, configured RAID 10 on it, set up some shared folders, and configured the SCSI partitions (in SCSI they call them LUNs).  We then loaded a bunch of virtual machines on it, and had an ESXi server use those Virtual Machines. Pretty cool stuff.

No comments:

Fixing Clustering and Disk Issues on an N+1 Morpheus CMP Cluster

I had performed an upgrade on Morpheus which I thought was fairly successful. I had some issues doing this upgrade on CentOS 7 because it wa...