Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Kubernetes - Part IV - Kubernetes Dashboard


I did some more work on Kubernetes.

So the way Kubernetes was set up in here, was that SD-WAN traffic would be "routed" through Kubernetes nodes.  It wouldn't be controlled (no control plane elements in Kubernetes), nor would traffic be sourced or received with Kubernetes nodes.

So in other words, Kubernetes is only being used as a traffic relay, such that traffic would loopback through Kubernetes as though Kubernetes was a cloud of its own, in and of itself.

I noticed the Python scripts to provision everything on the control plane element were not working, so I took my REST API Client library that I built for OpenStack, and ported that into the project and that works like a charm now.

Now, we can spin up a control plane element, and deploy two traffic relay nodes into Kubernetes.

There is an issue with the traffic relay nodes. I'm having trouble understanding the issues. So now I am trying to learn how to install and use the GUI administrative tools for Kubernetes.

The first thing I tried to do is install the dashboard. It installed, but wouldn't come up properly (namespace errors). I found a website discussing this issue:
https://github.com/kubernetes/dashboard/wiki/Creating-sample-user

I followed these steps to create the user and the binding and that worked successfully. Once you do this, you can generate a token, and use that token to log onto the Dashboard.

NOTE: The Dashboard will not work without running "kubectl proxy" which redirects to localhost. Once you run the proxy you can put the url in the browser and it comes up successfully.  This can all be found documented at the dashboard website in GitHub. https://github.com/kubernetes/dashboard


No comments:

Rocky Generic Cloud Image 9.4 - Image Prep, Cloud-Init and VMware Tools

  I just fixed an issue on these Rocky 9.x generic cloud images not booting properly on a VMWare platform. It turns o...