Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Ciena 3906mvi Service Virtualization Switch

Someone dropped one of these off at my desk today and asked me to reverse engineer it.

Ciena 3906mvi Service Virtualization Switch
Completely unfamiliar and untrained on this device, I decided to go to the web first, and I downloaded a data sheet on the product.

What this beast is, is a typical switch, with a Network Function Virtualization Server module (optional).

There is no video board port on this device, as one might expect from a network device like this. So getting to a boot menu on it is painful, requiring a CAT5 to serial cable with a specific pin-out.

The first thing I did, was to plug a CAT 5 cable from my router into various ports, and then dump traffic so I could see what these ports were trying to do.

When I plugged the CAT 5 into the Console port, or the Management port, nothing happened. All I saw was my router sending an ARP request that went unanswered.

When I moved the CAT 5 into a data port labeled "port 1", I observed my router responding to a DHCP request and assigning an IP configuration. With an IP, was able to run an nmap scan on the device and I saw an ssh port open.


From there I was able to log onto the device, which had a slimmed-down Linux operating system, and a daemon program called ONIE (Open Network Installation Environment) that ran in the background, trying to contact some urls. So I was able to realize that I had logged into the NFV Virtualization Server module.

UPDATE:
I was able to learn that I would need to load a specific binary image onto the device (manually, using an onie-utility), because there was no system set up to load the image via the tftp protocol that I kept seeing the ONIE daemon trying to use.

No comments:

Rocky Generic Cloud Image 9.4 - Image Prep, Cloud-Init and VMware Tools

  I just fixed an issue on these Rocky 9.x generic cloud images not booting properly on a VMWare platform. It turns o...