Monday, February 6, 2017

Spice Graphics on KVM

I had a virtual machine I had installed with graphics=none on the virt-install script.

I then went and installed X Windows, Gnome, a browser, etc. on this VM, and then tried to start X and the darn thing would not come up. I kept getting a Connection Failed error.

I tried to run X -configure, and it came up empty.

After an hour or more of searching the web, I finally (and this took a while) found someone that was showing a screenshot of the Display on the Virtual Machine  Details. This made me realize that I did not have a Display.

Eventually, I realized that I could install a Display of type qx1. But I noticed every time I tried to do this, the VM would go back to the terminal shell and an attempt to start X, or configure X, would fail again.

Finally - I came across a page on Spice drivers, which made me realize I'd installed the VM with no graphics whatsoever.

I finally installed the Spice drivers, and lo and behold, it works great now.

Here is the link I used to do this:

https://www.server-world.info/en/note?os=CentOS_7&p=kvm&f=5

No comments:

Fixing Clustering and Disk Issues on an N+1 Morpheus CMP Cluster

I had performed an upgrade on Morpheus which I thought was fairly successful. I had some issues doing this upgrade on CentOS 7 because it wa...