Friday, September 14, 2018

Jumping into Kubernetes without understanding Docker and Containers


Clearly, it's best to understand Containers and Docker before you jump right into the deep water of Kubernetes.

I went in and started following cookbooks and how-to guides on Kubernetes without "stepping back" and trying to learn Docker first, and this has bit me and caused me to now go back to learn a bit about Docker.

As it turns out, the Containers I was launching with Kubernetes kept failing with a CrashLoopBackOff error.

It took me a while to learn how to debug this effectively in Kubernetes. I finally learned how to use kubectl to look at the logs, show the container information and events and so forth. I finally came to realize that the container we were pulling from jFrog was running a python script that was failing because someone had hard-coded IP addresses into it that weren't in use.

I decided to build a new container and fix this problem. I had to go to jFrog to learn that Docker containers are built in "Layers". Then, I decided I had to build a new container from scratch to fix this problem.

Doing all of this with no Docker knowledge means that I am essentially going ground up with Docker 101.

Thankfully we have this new guy we hired who is teaching me Docker (and some Kubernetes). Which is cool. It's a good two way exchange. I teach him about Networking and SD-WAN, and OpenStack/OpenBaton, and he teaches me about Docker and Kubernetes.

No comments:

Fixing Clustering and Disk Issues on an N+1 Morpheus CMP Cluster

I had performed an upgrade on Morpheus which I thought was fairly successful. I had some issues doing this upgrade on CentOS 7 because it wa...