Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Palo Alto Firewall VM Series - Integration and Evaluation - Part I

This week, I am evaluating the Palo Alto VM-Series Firewall.

I will ramble a bit about what I am doing, learning, etc.

First off, this VM-Series Firewall can run as a qcow2 image on KVM, it can load as an OVF onto the VMWare vSphere ESXi platform, and I have seen some evidence of people loading it on VirtualBox also. I am using it on a KVM (libvirtd) host.

The main thing about a virtual firewall appliance is how it plumbs into the virtual networking, using virtual adaptors, or host NICs.

One the VM I just installed, I set up 4 Adaptors.

4 NICs on the Palo Alto VM
If we assume 4 NICs on the virtual machine, the very first NIC is designated as the management NIC.  What is confusing about this, is that you might expect this NIC to show up in the list of interfaces. It doesn't. You have to "know" that the first NIC is a management NIC that does NOT show up in the list of Interfaces.

If we look at the screenshot below, you will see a Management IP Address on a 172.22.0.0/24 network. This is shown on the "Dashboard" tab of the Palo Alto user interface.

The Management Interface connects to a VM NIC that does not show up in the list of Interfaces

Yet, if we look at the list of Interfaces (Network tab), we will see that this Management Interface (first NIC in the KVM list of adaptors) does not exist.


I would have to go back and see how well this is documented, for I admittedly dive in without reading documentation sometimes. But it was NOT very intuitive. I would prefer for the interfaces to "line up" with the VM adaptors, and if one is a Management Interface, perhaps it is greyed out, or managed in a unique way.

I understand why Palo Alto did this, for the Management Interface is generally considered a unique pipe into the product - used for administration of the device itself and generally is not considered part of a traffic plane interface. But it did make it difficult at first for me because I did not know which bridge the first Interface was indeed connected to - the br0 (which has a 172.22.0.0/24 network on it), or br1 (which has a 172.21.0.0/24 network on it).

Palo Alto, like FirewallD, is a zone-based firewall. So while you may have a tendency to get fixated on your Interfaces (trying to get them to light up green) initially, the first thing you really SHOULD do is a bit of forethought and planning, and create your Zones.

I created two zones (currently):

  • Trusted L3
  • UnTrusted L3
Two Zones Initially Created - L3 Trusted, and L3 Untrusted
The Untrusted Zone contains the interface Ethernet1/1, which is connected to a host adaptor via a bridge. For this reason I considered this interface to be untrusted, as per my thinking, it would connect up to my Router much like a Firewall at the edge of a premise might connect to an ISP.

The Trusted Zone contains two interfaces Ethernet1/2 and Ethernet1/3. 

Ethernet1/2 is mapped to an adaptor on the virtual machine that is connected to the "default" KVM network, which has CIDR of 192.168.122.0/24. But - this is a NAT network! Packets that leave the KVM host are Source NAT'ed. How this works with the Firewall? I don't know yet - I have not tested extensively with this "type" of network.

Ethernet1/3 is mapped to an adaptor on the virtual machine that is connected to an Internal KVM network which has a CIDR of 192.168.124.0/24. This network, though is NOT a NAT network. It is a Routed Network. A Routed Network is routed between KVM Internal networks, but generally is not reachable outside the KVM host, because KVM creates iptables rules that drop inbound packets coming from any host aside of the KVM host itself (I tested this - pings from another host cannot reach the 192.168.122.0/24 network because they get dropped on a FORWARD chain rule). I suppose theoretically, if you hacked the iptables rules properly on the KVM host, these KVM internal networks could be reachable. Maybe there is a facility for this designed to accommodate strange circumventions like these, but messing with the iptables rules, and especially the order of such rules, are prone to issues.

So in summary, it does appear that the Palo Alto Firewall VM-Series, on KVM, will work with KVM Internal networks in a respectful way. You would just want to classify these as "Trusted" networks when it comes to zones and security policies.

No comments:

Fixing Clustering and Disk Issues on an N+1 Morpheus CMP Cluster

I had performed an upgrade on Morpheus which I thought was fairly successful. I had some issues doing this upgrade on CentOS 7 because it wa...