Wednesday, February 7, 2024

ZWave Plus - First Alert Combo - CO2 and Fire

I thought an ideal use case for ZWave devices, would be a Carbon Monoxide detector and/or Fire Detector that would send you an alert on certain conditions.

Well, sure enough, there is one. The First Alert Combo.

 

I bought one of these, and they were priced right - about $40.  I had a First Alert fire detector mounted in the spot for it, and the bracket was exactly the same as the new one (how nice is that?). So mounting it took 2 seconds.

The next step was to pair it to the ZWave Hub, and from experience, that can be a hassle with certain devices.  I was a little bit worried that they were marketing it for a Ring Hub, with a concern it might work for a Ring Hub but not for a more standard hub like a Wink2 or a Hubitat.

But it only took 3 tries to get it to pair. 

First Attempt:

  1. I added the batteries.
  2. I slid the batteries in, holding the Test button
  3. I released the Test button 
  4. I added a device on my hub (by vendor, First Alert was listed), and clicked "start inclusion".

This didn't work. So, I re-attempted.

  1. I slide out the battery tray
  2. I went to my hub app, added the device by vendor, and clicked "start inclusion"
  3. I pulled out one of the two batteries
  4. I reinserted the battery I pulled out.
  5. I slid the battery tray back in, holding the Test Button while sliding
  6. I released the Test button

At this point, I watched the app, and it sat there on "Start Inclusion", as though it were processing. I decided to leave it, and then came back, re-launched the app, hit "Connect to Hub" and then "Devices", and there it was! I hit Refresh on the app, and all of the pertinent statistics showed up.

Not too bad at all.

No comments:

Fixing Clustering and Disk Issues on an N+1 Morpheus CMP Cluster

I had performed an upgrade on Morpheus which I thought was fairly successful. I had some issues doing this upgrade on CentOS 7 because it wa...