Wednesday, September 18, 2024

A Long Day with Morpheus CMP

I had performed an upgrade on Morpheus which I thought was fairly successful. I had some issues doing this upgrade on CentOS 7 because it was designated EOL and the repositories were archived, but I worked through that and it seemed everyone was using the system just fine.

Today, however, I had someone contact me to tell me that they provisioned a virtual machine, but it was stuck in an incomplete "Provisioning" state (a state that has a blue icon with a rocketship in it). The VM was provisioned on vCenter and working, but the state in Morpheus never set to "Finalized".

I couldn't figure this out, so I went to the Morpheus help site and I discovered that I myself had logged a ticket on this issue quite a while back. It turned out that the reason the state never flipped in that case, was because the clustering wasn't working properly.

So I checked RabbitMQ. It looked fine.

I checked MySQL and Percona, and I suspected that perhaps the clustering wasn't working properly. In the process of restarting the VMs, one of the virtual machines wouldn't start. I had to do a bunch of Percona advanced troubleshooting to figure out that I needed to do a wsrep recover commit before I could start the system and have it properly join the cluster. 

The NEXT problem was that Zabbix was screeching about these Morpheus VMs using too much disk space. It turned out that the /var file system was 100% full - because of ElasticSearch. Fortunately I had an oversized /home directory, and was able to do an rsync of the elasticsearch directory over to /home and re-link it.

But this gets to the topic of system administration with respect to disks.

First let's start with some KEY commands you MUST know:

>df -Th 

This command (disk free = df) shows how much space is used in human readable format, but with the mountpoint and file system type. This tells you NOTHING about the physical disks though!

>lsblk -f

This command (list block device) will give you the physical disk, the mountpoint, the uuid and any labels. It is a device specific command and doesn't show you space consumption.

>fdisk -l

I don't really like this command that much because of the output formatting. But it does list disk partitions and related statistics.

Some other commands you can use are:

>sudo file -sL /dev/sda3

the -s flag enables reading of block or character files and -L enables following of symlinks:

>blkid /dev/sda3

Similar command to lsblk -f above.

No comments:

A Long Day with Morpheus CMP

I had performed an upgrade on Morpheus which I thought was fairly successful. I had some issues doing this upgrade on CentOS 7 because it wa...