Wednesday, January 8, 2025

MySQL Max Allowed Packet

I recently conducted an upgrade, and for the life of me I couldn't figure out why the application wouldn't initialize.

I checked MySQL - it seemed to be running fine. I logged into the database, checked the Percona cluster status, it looked fine.

I checked RabbitMQ, and it also seemed to be running fine.

In checking the application logs, I saw an exception about a query and the packet size being too big, and I thought this was strange - mainly because of the huge size of the packet.

Sure enough, after calling support, I was informed that I needed to change the MySQL configuration in my.cnf and add a directive in the [mysqld] section.

max_allowed_packet=128M

In terms of what this value should 'really' be, I was told that this is a normal setting on most installations.

Who knew? It's unusual to be adding new parameters on the fly like this to a clustered database. 

But, sure enough, after restarting the database (well, the whole VM actually because I had done updates), it came up just fine.

No comments:

NVIDIA Issue Back - I Think We Know More About the Cause

This morning the fans were running on the server. Apparently, ollama will fall back to the cpu if the gpu stops working or becomes unrecogni...