Monday, February 22, 2016

The sysctl interface for system tuning on Linux

I looked into sysctl mainly because of the fact that the TuneD package (used to tune systems dynamically with specific pre-created system profiles) relies on sysctl parameters.

I found a useful article on sysctl in Linux Journal, which I will post here.

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/2365?page=0,0

In summary, the /proc folder in Linux is essentially the 'portal' to the kernel parameters. While some are locked down and cannot be tinkered with, others (in /proc/sys) are available for configuration.

This is not for the novices. Understanding the parameters themselves is a daunting task; something that only kernel developers used to understand by being thoroughly familiar with the kernel source code. Playing and tinkering with the parameters can absolutely cripple a system if you don't know what you're doing.

But - it is good to understand the architecture and facilities within Linux. And understanding sysctl; what it is, why it is there and what it is used for - is certainly something important if you're going even remotely consider calling yourself a Linux geek.


No comments:

NVIDIA Issue Back - I Think We Know More About the Cause

This morning the fans were running on the server. Apparently, ollama will fall back to the cpu if the gpu stops working or becomes unrecogni...