Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Generating UUID for Network Interfaces

Ever wonder where these came from? How these got generated?

Ever wanted to copy an interface file, and wonder about what happens if you use the same UUID, or - perhaps worse - what happens if you blow it away, or just change it willy nilly?

Well, I came across this and tested it on VirtualBox - because VirtualBox did not generate files or UUIDs for new NAT interfaces I created. I generated new UUIDs, and nothing complained or barked at all. Yay.

I'm sure I will remember this, but I'll post it just in case.

NOTE: The uuidgen utility seemed to be on the box. I did not need to install anything. I don't know what package this utility is a part of, and have not researched. It just seemed to work - for me at least.

http://www.itechlounge.net/2014/03/linux-how-to-generate-uuid-for-network-interface-on-rhelcentos/

No comments:

Fixing Clustering and Disk Issues on an N+1 Morpheus CMP Cluster

I had performed an upgrade on Morpheus which I thought was fairly successful. I had some issues doing this upgrade on CentOS 7 because it wa...