Thursday, March 16, 2017

Ansible Part I

Now that I have a bunch of VMs running on a KVM host and interfacing properly with proper network configuration, the next thing that would be good to do is to learn how to deploy these VMs in an efficient way.

Right now, I have bash scripts that generate the VMs. I have one for Spice Graphics, and another without Spice Graphics for a non-graphical Minimal CentOS. Once these OS images are installed, though, I have to do considerable tweaking to get software installed and configured on them.

This is where ansible comes in.

I have a book on Ansible - and a number of Ansible scripts and playbooks.

I have not had time to read the book, nor play with the playbooks, but I did have sense enough to delete all of the inventory files. The last thing you want to do is start running playbooks and farting up someone else's virtual machines using incorrect inventory.

So that's where we are....nowhere really, except an intent to get smart about Ansible.

Ansible - is an alternative to Chef and Puppet. I know a guy who did research on all of these and chose Ansible. So that's the history on "why Ansible".

No comments:

Fixing Clustering and Disk Issues on an N+1 Morpheus CMP Cluster

I had performed an upgrade on Morpheus which I thought was fairly successful. I had some issues doing this upgrade on CentOS 7 because it wa...