Thursday, November 23, 2017

Ubiquiti Edge Router ER-X - Impressive


I just love this router.

  • The icon on the top that shows colorized ethernet plugs (colorization related to status). Cool.
  •  It was sooooo easy to configure it.
  •  It has a shell that takes you into Ubuntu Linux (uses Ubuntu = impressive). I'm not even sure it is using BusyBox or some slimmed down quasi-linux. It looks like a custom compile of Ubuntu.
  •  One cool feature is that it can support link aggregation. I am not using that feature, but it's cool.
  • Has excellent support for IPv6.

It can also automatically switch the ports on the router so that you don't need a L3 switch to go with it. 

So for example, you can set up:

  • eth0 as the management port
  • eth1 as the WAN port, and 
  • eth2, eth3 and eth4 are switched so that anything plugged into these are on the same network (you defined the network).  
I don't currently have this router configured a router than actually learns routes. In other words, I am not running BGP, RIP or OSPF on it. I don't really need to learn networks, nor advertise networks, dynamically. All I need is to get out to the internet.

I have it set up with a hairpin NAT, and the firewall rules configured on it are rather trivial at the moment but designed to protect ingress through iptables rules.

This is truly a "power user" routing device, and it can fit into the palm of your hand; it is no bigger than a Raspberry Pi device.

This router also comes with some interesting Wizards that allow you to configure the router for certain use cases, like the WAN+LAN wizard.

So I have not done anything in-depth, but I spent an hour messing around with this device and I'm pretty impressed with it.


No comments:

NVIDIA Issue Back - I Think We Know More About the Cause

This morning the fans were running on the server. Apparently, ollama will fall back to the cpu if the gpu stops working or becomes unrecogni...