Thursday, November 23, 2017

Ubiquiti Edge Router ER-X - Impressive


I just love this router.

  • The icon on the top that shows colorized ethernet plugs (colorization related to status). Cool.
  •  It was sooooo easy to configure it.
  •  It has a shell that takes you into Ubuntu Linux (uses Ubuntu = impressive). I'm not even sure it is using BusyBox or some slimmed down quasi-linux. It looks like a custom compile of Ubuntu.
  •  One cool feature is that it can support link aggregation. I am not using that feature, but it's cool.
  • Has excellent support for IPv6.

It can also automatically switch the ports on the router so that you don't need a L3 switch to go with it. 

So for example, you can set up:

  • eth0 as the management port
  • eth1 as the WAN port, and 
  • eth2, eth3 and eth4 are switched so that anything plugged into these are on the same network (you defined the network).  
I don't currently have this router configured a router than actually learns routes. In other words, I am not running BGP, RIP or OSPF on it. I don't really need to learn networks, nor advertise networks, dynamically. All I need is to get out to the internet.

I have it set up with a hairpin NAT, and the firewall rules configured on it are rather trivial at the moment but designed to protect ingress through iptables rules.

This is truly a "power user" routing device, and it can fit into the palm of your hand; it is no bigger than a Raspberry Pi device.

This router also comes with some interesting Wizards that allow you to configure the router for certain use cases, like the WAN+LAN wizard.

So I have not done anything in-depth, but I spent an hour messing around with this device and I'm pretty impressed with it.


No comments:

Fixing Clustering and Disk Issues on an N+1 Morpheus CMP Cluster

I had performed an upgrade on Morpheus which I thought was fairly successful. I had some issues doing this upgrade on CentOS 7 because it wa...