Thursday, November 23, 2017

Security - Antivirus specifically

My McAfee just expired on this computer and I am now getting a bunch of intrusive "buy me" pop-ups. I have never thought McAfee to be top of the line when it comes to Anti-Virus, but the question is, is anybody really stopping viri these days?

I have started to get smarter about Security. I went to RSA in 2016, and I bought a book on Exploits. This is very very hardcode book, and I have not managed to get through it all yet. It requires Assembler and C programming, and teaches you how hackers actually exploit code. I think once I finish this it will be awesome knowledge, and I am about halfway through it. I got pulled off of this due to the longer hours at work playing with virtualization and orchestration.

So - I am not current on malware. So I spent some time looking around this morning, reading anti-virus reviews.

It does not appear that there is much out there in the way of OpenSource AV. ClamAV looks like the only thing actively maintained. This is a bit of a surprise.

There are some free packages out there, but I am sure they probably nag you incessantly to buy or upgrade. The big question is this: Can you really trust FREE?

I also see some interesting Cloud-based packages out there that are working from outside your network. This would have been an absolute no-no for me in earlier times, but considering the danger of today's malware, maybe this kind of approach is worth re-examining, is good results are coming from it. One such company is Crystal Security.

I see some products like VoodooShield. And some new ones I had not previously encountered like GlarySoft Malware Hunter.

Of course, Kaspersky, ESET - these guys always get good reviews.

It is probably good to stay up to speed on this stuff. To take an  hour here and there and stay current.

No comments:

NVIDIA Issue Back - I Think We Know More About the Cause

This morning the fans were running on the server. Apparently, ollama will fall back to the cpu if the gpu stops working or becomes unrecogni...