Friday, February 1, 2019

NOSQL databases - are we taking a step backwards?

One of the solutions I am looking at happens to be utilizing Cassandra, a NOSQL database project from the Apache Foundation.

I am pretty deep with SQL databases, but not so much with NOSQL databases. I may have done a couple remark-based blogs on the topic of NOSQL databases in the past, but really have not looked into them in any kind of depth.

However, in noticing a java process running and realizing it was Cassandra, I went to the Cassandra website and started to take a closer look. When I went to the site and clicked:

  • Documentation
    • Architecture
      • Overview
I wound up getting a TODO page. Sheez. That's absolutely unacceptable and ridiculous.

So, if I want more introductory information, I will probably have to blog surf.

But, I did find this very interesting Quora page, entitled: What are the pros and cons of the Cassandra database? It can be found at this link: What-are-the-pros-and-cons-of-using-the-Cassandra-database?

This reminds me of the old Object Oriented database days, when products like Versant hit the scene. Speedy databases that made it easy to get your data IN, but when it came to getting it OUT, it was an absolute nightmare.

There are no aggregate functions (SUM, AVG, etc). No table joins or filters. It uses a CSQL query syntax that looks somewhat like SQL, but will result in confusion because it does not naturally support ANSI-SQL concepts.

Makes me wonder. Are we taking a big step backwards with these kinds of databases becoming so pervasive?

No comments:

Fixing Clustering and Disk Issues on an N+1 Morpheus CMP Cluster

I had performed an upgrade on Morpheus which I thought was fairly successful. I had some issues doing this upgrade on CentOS 7 because it wa...