Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Colorizing Text in Linux

 I went hunting today, for a package that I had used to colorize text. There are tons of those out there of course. But - what if you want to filter the text and colorize based on a set of rules?

There's probably a lot of stuff out there for that, too. Colord for example, runs as a daemon in Linux.

Another package, is grc, found at this GitHub site: https://github.com/garabik/grc

Use Case: 

I had a log that was printing information related to exchanges with different servers. I decided to color these so that messages from Server A were green, Server B were blue, etc. In this way, I could do really cool things like suppress messages from Server B (no colorization). Or, I could take Control Plane messages from, say, Server C, and highlight those Yellow.  

This came in very handy during a Demo, where people were watching the messages display in rapid succession on a large screen.

No comments:

NVIDIA Issue Back - I Think We Know More About the Cause

This morning the fans were running on the server. Apparently, ollama will fall back to the cpu if the gpu stops working or becomes unrecogni...