Friday, August 9, 2024

Pinephone Pro - Unboxing and First Use

I ordered a Linux Pinephone that just arrived.

In the United States, trying to get off of Google, Apple, and even Samsung is nigh onto impossible. Carriers make a ton of money off of selling and promoting phones, and have locked Linux phones out of their stores and off of their networks because they can't all collude and make money, either by selling the devices (carriers) or siphoning your data on their operating systems or defaulting the browser, etc.

There are probably numerous videos that show the unboxing of a Pinephone, so I will skip that and just make some general comments on my first experience.

When I unboxed the phone, there was no charger included. I bought this phone used on eBay, and while it came in the box, I wasn't sure if they come standard with a charger or not. The phone uses USB-C as a charger, though, and I had plenty of these. The phone had some weight to it. The screen seemed quality, but the back cover looked like a cheap piece of plastic and I could feel something pushing against the back cover (battery? dip or kill switches?). As I don't yet have a SIM for it, I have not yet opened the back.

The phone did not boot up at first. I wasn't sure of the button sequences, so I downloaded the Pinephone User Guide to get going. I decided that the phone probably needed to be charged, and plugged it into my USB-C charger, and immediately, I got a Linux boot sequence on the screen. Linux boot sequences are intimidating to just about anyone and most certainly to a user that is unfamiliar with Linux and not Linux-savvy.

When the boot sequence finished, the phone shut itself down again - presumably because it didn't have enough juice to boot and stay running. I left the phone on the charger, and returned to it 3-4 hours later.

When I came in and picked the phone up and powered it on, I got the boot sequence again and it booted up to the operating system. The OS was reasonably intuitive. I don't have a SIM in the phone yet, so I configured it for WiFi as a first step. Then I tried to set the clock, and I added my city but it is using UTC as the default. Next I went looking to see what apps were installed. It took me a few minutes to realize that the "Discover" app is the app for finding, updating and installing applications.  The first time I tried to run Discover, it crashed. When I re-launched it, it showed me some apps and I tried to update a couple of them, and got a repository error. I finally was able to update Firefox, though. Then I launched Firefox. 

Right away with Firefox, I had issues with screen real-estate and positioning. The browser didn't fit on the screen, and I didn't see a way to shrink it down to fit the screen properly. After closing the 2nd tab I had opened, I was able to use my finger to "grab" the browser, and pull it around, but clearly the browser window fit and lack of a gyroscope to re-orient the browser when the phone is turned sideways are going to make this browser a bit of a hassle - unless I can solve this.

I want to test out the sound quality. That's next.


No comments:

A Long Day with Morpheus CMP

I had performed an upgrade on Morpheus which I thought was fairly successful. I had some issues doing this upgrade on CentOS 7 because it wa...