Friday, August 16, 2024

Pinephone Pro - Unboxing and Use Part II

I picked up the Pinephone Pro, which I had attached to a standard USB-C charger. It indeed was sitting at 100%. So it looks like the charging works okay.

The OS asked me for a pin code to unlock the screen. Yikes. I wasn't prompted to set up a pin code! 

I rebooted the phone to see if I could figure out what OS was on it from the boot messages. I figured out that the phone was running the Pinephone Manjaro OS. 

https://github.com/manjaro-pinephone/phosh/releases

Since the Manjaro OS has a default pincode, I attempted that pin code and got lucky - it wasn't changed, and it worked.  I (re) connected to WiFi, and noticed that the OS is prompting for my WiFi Password every single time and doesn't seem to remember it from before. Secure? Yes Annoying? Yes.

The form factor issue I ran into using the Firefox browser seemed to be more related to Firefox than the OS. The issue with Firefox is that the browser is sized past the phone form factor, and you need to scroll left and right which is a major hassle. The browser doesn't auto-size itself for the screen dimensions.

I played with the Terminal app, and noticed that the user when I launched the Terminal app was pico-xxxx (I don't remember what the suffix is). I tried to sudo to root, but didn't know what the password was for this user. 

Lastly, I played a video from YouTube, and the sound was very tinny. So the speaker on this phone is not high-end. I have not yet attempted to use a headphone on this device yet. 

Since the Linux-Mobile apps are so limited, many apps you typically run from a dedicated icon app/client on a mobile phone will need to be run from a browser.

I am not sure Manjaro is the "right" OS to use on this phone, or if the version of the OS running is current or stale. I ordered the Docking Hub and a Micro SD Card and when those arrive, maybe I will try flashing a new/different OS on this phone.

No comments:

A Long Day with Morpheus CMP

I had performed an upgrade on Morpheus which I thought was fairly successful. I had some issues doing this upgrade on CentOS 7 because it wa...