Thursday, July 25, 2019

ONAP - Just Too Big and Heavy?

I have been working with Service Orchestrators for a while now. Here are three of them I have had experience with:

  • Heat - which is an OpenStack Project, so while OpenStack can be considered the VIM (Virtual Infrastructure Manager), Heat is an Orchestrator that runs on top of OpenStack and allows you to deploy and manage services 
  • Open Baton - this was the ORIGINAL Reference Implementation for the ETSI MANO standards, out of a Think Tank in Germany (Frauenhofer Fokus).  
  • ADVA Ensemble - which is an ETSI-based Orchestrator that is not in the public domain. It is the IPR of ADVA Optical Networks, based out of Germany.
There are a few new Open Source initiatives that have surpassed Open Baton for sure, and probably Heat also. Here are a few of the more popular open source ones:
  • ONAP - a Tier 1 carrier solution, backed by the likes of at&t. 
  • OSM - I have not examined this one fully. TODO: Update this entry when I do.
  • Cloudify - a private commercial implementation that bills itself as being more lightweight than the ONAP solution.
I looked at ONAP today. Some initial YouTube presentations were completely inadequate for allowing me to "get started". One was a presentation by an at&t Vice President. Another was done by some architect who didn't show a single slide on the video (the camera was trained on the speaker the whole time).

This led me to do some digging around. I found THIS site: Setting up ONAP

Well, if you scroll down to the bottom of this, here is your "footprint" - meaning, your System Requirements, to install this.

ONAP System Requirements
Okay. This is for a Full Installation, I guess. The 3Tb of Disk is not that bad. You can put a NAS out there and achieve that, no problem.  But 148 VCPU????  THREE HUNDRED THIRTY SIX  Gig of RAM? OMG - That is a deal killer in terms of being able to install this in a lab here. 

I can go through and see if I can pare this down, but I have a feeling that I cannot install ONAP. This is a toy for big boys, who have huge servers and lots of dinero.

I might have to go over and look at OSM to see if that is more my size.

I will say that the underlying technologies include Ubuntu, OpenStack, Docker and Mysql - which are pretty mainline mainstream.

No comments:

Fixing Clustering and Disk Issues on an N+1 Morpheus CMP Cluster

I had performed an upgrade on Morpheus which I thought was fairly successful. I had some issues doing this upgrade on CentOS 7 because it wa...