Tuesday, July 23, 2019

RUST Programming Language - Part I


In hearing about this "new" language, I have spent some time this week going through a book called "The Rust Programming Language", which can be found at this link:

The Rust Programming Language

I will have to come back and edit this post as I go through the book, but so far, I have been trying to learn "enough" about the language to understand WHY the language has even emerged - in other words, what it's selling point is, what deficiencies in other languages it addresses, etc.

What do I have to say right now?

Well, it's a Compiled language. It's been a long time coming that I have seen a new compiled language emerge. We have had nothing but runtime interpreted languages for many years now.

It has some interesting resemblances to C.

It has no advanced traditional object oriented capabilities, like Inheritance and Polymorphism. That said, it does support Encapsulation, and this concept of Traits (which up to now, seem to me to resemble Templates in C++ a bit - but I may revise this statement after I get more familiar with it).

The language is designed to be more "safe" than traditional C or C++, the latter of which, due to direct memory access and manipulation, can cause Segmentation Violations, etc. One example of course is References where one thread might de-reference a pointer that another thread might be using, accessing, manipulating, etc.

No comments:

Fixing Clustering and Disk Issues on an N+1 Morpheus CMP Cluster

I had performed an upgrade on Morpheus which I thought was fairly successful. I had some issues doing this upgrade on CentOS 7 because it wa...