Thursday, September 12, 2019

Graphical Network Simulator-3 (GNS3) - Part II Installation on a Linux Server

Okay for Part II of GNS3, I came in today looking to install GNS3 on a Linux Server.

I noticed that GNS3 is designed to run on Ubuntu Linux, and as I tend to run in a CentOS7 shop, I am now faced with the hump of putting an Ubuntu server in here, or trying to get this to run on CentOS7. It should run on CentOS7, right? After all, this is a Linux world, right? 😏

I decided to take one of my 32Gb RAM servers, an HP box, that runs CentOS7, and follow a cookbook for installing GNS3 on it.

I followed this link:
https://gns3.com/discussions/how-to-install-gns3-on-centos-7-

I chose this box because it runs X Windows. It didn't have Python 3.6 on it, or the pip36 used for installing and managing python 3.6 packages.

A lot of steps in this thing.

Some questions I have about this cookbook that I need to look into:

1. Why does the cookbook use VirtualBox on Linux? I have KVM installed. Surely I can use that instead of VirtualBox. I only use VirtualBox on my Win10 laptop. So I have, for now, skipped that section.

2. What is IOU support? I will need to google that.

UPDATE: IOU (also called IOL, which stands for IOS on Linux, is basically an IOS simulator) that can run on an i386 chipset.  You would need and want that if you run any Cisco elements on the GNS3 simulator.

No comments:

Fixing Clustering and Disk Issues on an N+1 Morpheus CMP Cluster

I had performed an upgrade on Morpheus which I thought was fairly successful. I had some issues doing this upgrade on CentOS 7 because it wa...