Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Vector Packet Processing - Part I

Yesterday, I was reading up on something called Vector Packet Processing (VPP). I had not heard of this, nor the organization called Fd.io (pronounced Fido), which can be found at the following link: http://fd.io

Chasing links to get more up to speed, I found this article, which does a very good indoctrination on these newer networking technologies, which  have emerged to support virtualization, due to the overhead (and redundancy) associated with forwarding packets from NICs, to virtualization hosts, and into the virtual machines.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/an-overview-of-advanced-server-based-networking-technologies

I like how the article progresses from the old-style interrupt processing, to OpenVSwitch (OVS), to SR-IOV, to DPDK, and then, finally, to VPP.

I am familiar with OpenVSwitch, which I came into contact with OpenStack, which had OpenVswitch drivers (and required you to install OpenVSwitch on the controller and compute nodes).

I was only familiar with SR-IOV because I stumbled upon it and took the time to read up on what it was. I think it was a virtual Palo Alto Firewall that had SR-IOV NIC Types, if I'm not mistaken. I spent some time trying to figure out if these servers I am running support SR-IOV and they don't seem to have it enabled, that's for sure. Whether they support it would take more research.

And DPDK I had read up on, because a lot of hardware vendors were including FastPath Data switches that were utilizing DPDK for their own in-house virtual switches, or using the DPDK-OpenVSwitch implementation.

But Vector Packet Processing (VPP), this somehow missed me. So I have been doing some catch-up on VPP, which I won't go into detail on in this post or share additional resources on such a large topic. But the link above to Fido is essentially touting VPP.

UPDATE:
I found this link, which is also spectacularly written:
https://www.metaswitch.com/blog/accelerating-the-nfv-data-plane

And, same blog with another link for those wanting the deep dive into VPP:
https://www.metaswitch.com/blog/fd.io-takes-over-vpp

No comments:

Fixing Clustering and Disk Issues on an N+1 Morpheus CMP Cluster

I had performed an upgrade on Morpheus which I thought was fairly successful. I had some issues doing this upgrade on CentOS 7 because it wa...